February 10, 2010

Letters to Herme - Vol. 1

First, I have to explain the nickname with a little back story. Prior to his or her grand arrival this baby will be known as “Herme.” Strange, right? Well, we aren’t really that normal around these parts. ;)

I was having a conversation with my mom before TJ and I had even decided to start trying for a baby. She was ready to be a grandma before we were ready to be parents. She would love to have a granddaughter to dress up, love it. We were discussing the fact that there is a 50/50 chance that my future baby will be boy or girl so she can’t bank on having a girl to dress up in pink. She told me should baby McG be a boy she would dress him in pink when she watched him anyway (real men wear pink, right???). I told her that I wasn’t sure TJ would like that idea, to which she responded, “What he doesn’t know won’t hurt me.” I hear “Herme”, and the name stuck. So, we can’t wait to meet you baby Herme! This is my first letter to Herme:



2/10/2010
Baby Herme,

This is an idea I’ve had since I was in high school. The idea of me being in high school is probably foreign to you I know, but before you were here I was a kid too. When I was in high school I read the book “Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas” by James Patterson, and I thought it was a great idea. In the book Suzanne, the mother, wrote letters to her baby Nicholas through her pregnancy and while he was a baby. The letters had a sad ending, but, I loved the idea of it just the same. Someday I’ll give you these letters in hopes that you will read and appreciate them. Hopefully they will give you a glimpse into how much you were loved before we even met you.

On January 23rd our worlds changed. I’m still hesitant to say your dad/daddy/father or mom/mommy/mother, because right now this, you, still feels so surreal. Two and a half weeks ago when I came home from work, on your Grandpa’s birthday no less, I took a pregnancy test on a hunch. The result of that test, of course, is you. I sat the test on the counter in the bathroom and waited for your dad to come home from riding. He walked in the door and I told him there was something on the counter in the bathroom that he might like to see. I think there was a high five involved, but we were both very cautious. You see, before you there were positive tests and the results were not as good. So, your dad and I left the house for Grandpa’s Birthday dinner and we didn’t tell a soul.

As time has gone on we have gotten more and more excited. Things are much better this time then before. I really believe that in a very few long months you will be here and I will be holding you in my arms. I cannot wait for that day where I can see what you look like, and find out who you are. We get to hopefully see you next Friday in an ultrasound, and if it all looks good we’ll tell the world about you. You are going to be a very big deal, and a very spoiled baby. There are many, many more people than your dad and I who want to meet you. To hold you. To look you in the eyes and say, Welcome to the world, sweet baby. We love you, happy Birthday!

This will be my first of many letters. I want to thank you for coming in to our lives right when we needed it. You are a miracle, you are loved. Don’t ever forget it.

Love,

Your Mom

No comments: